Friday 17 October 2014

THE UNKNOWN,POWER WITHIN


‘You should open up a blog! Here, check out my blog! A communications person should have a blog! What are you still waiting for, open up a blog! I need a blog from you every week! ‘Hold up! This is where I started thinking twice about my writing. For some reason, over the past two years, I have had numerous encounters with people who breathe, sleep and dream writing.

I hated these encounters. In fact there are times I would literally switch off from such talk. While in high school, my closest friends were novel addicts: Irene I recall had read a series of novels. I wouldn't comprehend how someone got fixated to reading bound printed papers.

Ever since I can remember, I have hated reading books and writing. High school set books being at the epicentre of languages, would consume my nerves. I loathed Swahili, I still do. It’s difficult, overpowering, I just never get it right. English though, was a darling, still is, only when it came to grammar. You get the picture now don’t you?

I believe someone is by now saying ‘grammar, reading and writing are intertwined. ‘In my world at least then, there was no link whatsoever. Funny enough, I earned a straight A in English. Note, ‘I earned it.’ Thou I hated reading and writing, I pushed myself to the limit until I could earn my grade. Just before you render me ‘self-declared’ let me add that, mass reading is what really saved me bigtime! It involved everyone reading aloud at least two pages, simultaneously.

I was passionate about two careers, law and communications. However, after receiving my KCSE results slip I went through a roller-coaster of emotions, wondering what I was really attached to. On researching, I discovered that Law required a lot of reading. Communications too, sadly, fell in the same category, but the demand not so high (or so I thought).All factors put into consideration; I opted to settle for Communications, even better because I was admitted through the Joint Admission Board.

Everything was picture perfect in my small world, until I landed in Barack Muluka’s class. He had come in as a part-time lecturer in the communications department, taking us through Feature Writing and Publishing. I need not describe him; he’s a man with his own legacy. ‘The all-knowing man,’ some call him. Ask him about politics, science, geography, and rest assured he’ll match up to the required standards.

The closest I had come to Barack was through ‘The Standard’ newspaper. Exemplary, prolific writer and now here he was, taking me through what I hated most, reading and writing. What a genius way to ruin Beth and all she’s about. The first time Barack walked into my class, he immediately drew my attention. How would he not draw anyone’s attention, when he is calm, confident, chic and soft spoken? His words are ever right. I am not a genius in distinctive descriptions, but this gives the idea.

Over the past two years in campus, I had met lecturers but none of them commanded their presence, the way Barack did. His lectures were an eye opener; an eye opener to what I was missing out in the world of reading and writing. At this point, I wasn't sure whether to blame, my kindergarten or every other teacher who taught me English, for not been so keen with me. But then, truth is, other students who went through their resourceful hands, emerged to grow an unwavering interest in reading and writing.

‘If you do not read, you will disappear in the sea of anonymity’ Barack would say. He actually said it once, but the message was too sturdy, it often felt like he had said it a million times. Worse still, my close friend Allan would recommend books to me, and I would blatantly shun him.

‘Read, The Fault in Ours,’ I remember Allan once said to me. He even went an extra mile to copy the PDF version of it, to my computer. What other excuse would I give for not reading? Changing an old habit can be a nightmare, but once you take the first step, you start a new journey to achievement. The Fault in Our Stars,John Green is an amazing book. She’s the first book I ever read to completion.

I was finally working on my reading habits but writing was still the elephant in the room. My challenge with writing had always been fear and failure, period! This might sound lame but sometimes holding that pen and trusting your mind to conceptualize a refined idea is a real battle. The few times I remember trying to write, I hardly went past a paragraph, unless it was an exam situation.

At the end of my 3 month Feature Writing unit, I was finally confident, I realized, all I needed to do was just free my spirit. Sometimes,I wonder what would have have happened if Barack didn't take me through Feature writing.

It’s a short while since I started taking my reading and writing seriously, but though short, I am forever thankful I made the initial step. Now that I look back at my life, I don’t think I have ever felt this peaceful and content. Behind the pen is where I belong. Whether brilliant or not, I am taking each day by its stride.


2 comments:

  1. This is really a great piece Beth, personally I am a fan of reading literature and novels though I had never attempted writing before.I started writing a few months ago and l am happy to say that I am getting paid for doing it now! Truly, ''The only impossible journey is the one you never begin '' In fact, thanks to you, this quote is now on the list of my favourites..Keep up the amazing work, Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joseph.Thanks a lot for the love.Even better,congratulations for starting an amazing journey in writing.You are a the true definition of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete