Monday 27 October 2014

ANOTHER FIRST (WITNESSING A MARRIAGE PROPOSAL)


I would have never picked him as the proposing kind. Who could? He was short, slender, casually dressed and looked uncreative with grey hair. The rest could easily submit him to pass the proposing list, but the grey hair! No!

It was our first night at Maanzoni lodge. The ambience, serenity, class and aura rendered it the place to be. Maanzoni lodge is the perfect destination for someone looking for a prestigious, local and strategic place to unwind. My colleagues and I were sitting by the fire place next to the pool side, combining notes and ideas for the second day of the workshop. On a normal day, we would probably be undeniably bored but that day, that was out of the equation. The locality was simply ideal.

The semi-arid winds swept across the Athi landscape giving it a fresh feel while the bonfire kept us warm. The ambience was filled with jazz music, ideal for an ultra-modern, high end set-up. Tourists and guests enjoyed their beer and glasses of wine while chatting away.


This was the first time I was witnessing more Africans than White people in a chic destination mid-year. Usually, the scenario would be the complete opposite. It was uplifting to see, Africans/Kenyans embracing our local tourist destinations, contrary to the past.

‘’Hi guys, I am Michelle’’ a pretty, full-figured lady approached us. ‘’Hi’’ my colleagues and I dubiously replied. It was a bit weird to be approached by someone we didn't know. She was tipsy and couldn't stop smiling. At some point she almost lost her balance and I had to give her a helping hand. 

‘’My friend is proposing tonight, and I would like you guys to be a great audience. I will signal you when ready, and then you can form a circle around the bonfire. Is that fine?’’ she asked. ‘’Of course’’ I answered. Who could possibly say no to a pretty, tipsy, clumsy lady? The least you could do is at least ‘say yes’ to her lest she’ll keep asking. Plus anyway, witnessing a marriage proposal is a nice way to unravel.

‘Interesting’ I thought to myself. This was the first time I was going to witness a wedding proposal. In the past, I had only watched movies with such scenes and the wedding show, when ladies narrate their ever perfect proposals. I have always been the third wheel in experiencing the ‘proposal episodes.’ The thought was exciting; I anticipated seeing the look on the engaged to be. How will she react? How will he do it? The questions couldn't help but linger in my mind.

As soon as the lady staggered her way back to her seat, we started whispering amongst ourselves. ‘’How long do you think he is going to take before he proposes?’’ one of my colleagues asked. ‘’That is not the ideal question, I wonder how he is going to do it’’ another colleague retaliated. Our attention had been completely digressed. No-one was paying any attention to the office work. Luckily thou, we were at the concluding stage.

We were such party paupers. We could hardly stop throwing glances at the guy who was meant to propose, often giving the engaged to be the ‘you- have-no-idea’ look. Thank God, she was a bit drunk, half the time smiling and thinking we are staring at her because she is so pretty. A while before we were signalled, other people started moving towards the fire place. They had been informed on what was going to happen.

‘’Aren't you guys feeling any cold? ’’Michelle asked. There it was! ‘The signal.’ Probably not the best signal, but it at least sent the message. Slowly but careful not to draw any attention, we formed an intimate circular formation around the bonfire. Acting like nothing was going on; we went on with our work assignment. One would not help but notice how clueless the lady was. The entire time, she was very close to her boyfriend, but little did she know the plan he had in store .It was a plan, properly schemed.

Minutes after, the couple with their ally Michelle sat by the fire place. They had probably convinced the lady that the fire place was warmer, and fun. This is when I realised; the whole world could literally know what is going on in your life without you having a single idea. Only difference is, if it’s something good, you are envied, when bad, you look like a fool.

‘’Jambo, jambo bwana, habari gani, mzuri sana.’’ We heard a group of people singing.  ‘It possibly couldn’t be a band because there was no set-up,’ I thought. Facing towards the direction the voices came from; we saw a group of the hotel staff approaching the fire place in song and dance. One of them was carrying a small, black-forest cake. They looked happy and glad to be part of the life changing experience. ’Kudos! Maanzoni team’

Everyone knew what was going on apart from the lady. She kept asking what’s going on, forcing me to tell her it was my birthday. She then extended a warm hug, telling me ‘happy birthday’. It was humorous, because everyone had her figured out.

She was caught by surprise, when the cake was placed on her table. ‘’Beth look, they are giving me your cake’’ she uttered. ‘’No, it’s your cake’’ I said, trying to sound convincing. ‘’It can’t…’’ she tried speaking but couldn't complete her statement. ‘’Will you marry me babe?’’ the gentleman had gone down on one knee, holding a golden ring. He looked certain, happy and ten feet in love.

Jacky, her name as I later got to learn, couldn't believe what was going on. She was no longer tipsy. What a waste after consuming such expensive liquor. There was a moment of silence, everyone anticipating for what she would say. Worse still, the ladies present started whispering ‘yes,’ I included. ‘Shut up! It’s not your moment’ the men whispered .This was literally every girl’s dream. The day when the ‘he’ factor in your life proposes.

‘Yes! yes! yes! baby yes’ Jacky yelled, tears flowing from her eyes. I couldn't hold back my tears. Just when I had started to think I was the only one getting emotional, I realised every other lady present was shedding some tears too. It was romantic, breath-taking, alluring and affectionate. Jacky was lucky, we could do nothing but wish her more of the best. The guy on the other hand couldn't stop yelling ‘’I told you, I told you she was going to say yes. I am the man!!’’


The rest of us (ladies) got to at least enjoy the cake of their love after crying and hoped our proposals will be bigger and greater. Singlegirl’sdream..’ Proposals are real!

No comments:

Post a Comment