Wednesday 5 November 2014

ONE OF THOSE DAYS

My mind was in uncertainty when choosing what piece to write about. I was torn between writing about my experience at Gathiuru forest, Nanyuki and the ‘after Gathiuru’ experience. Both were interesting in their own right, but my after Gathiuru experience is something I most definitely need to get off my chest.

Yesterday after getting home from my Gathiuru forest adventure I went through what someone else would go through in a week, literally! Just when I thought I would get home and take a delightful, relaxing beauty sleep, the complete opposite decided to happen.

I am used to listening to other people’s ‘a-day-gone-wrong’ stories but never had it occurred to me, I would go through a relentless nightmare just the day I was extremely worn out.

Since, I re-located to Isiolo, I have had quite some adjustment challenges but with time, it’s become like my second home. However, I have never gotten home past 6pm. Quite, honestly, I am the panicky type, who are scared of being attacked at night. This of course should automatically tell you that my life is quite predictable because it only revolves between work and home. I don’t mind it thou, after all I usually have loads of series to catch up on. Currently, I am watching Dallas season 3.

Last night I got home at 9 pm,’ my fault.’ I would have arrived home earlier had I not hauled myself in a town to die for ‘Nanyuki town.’ Nanyuki is graceful, prepossessing and flawless to say the least. However cold, its landscape gives a refreshing highland feeling, something I have been longing for, for a while now. I need not tell you about the climate in Isiolo, you can already guess.

As soon as I was dropped home by the company vehicle, I rushed through the apartment gate in a bid to reach my house. Taking my house key out off my purse, I quickly reached for the house padlock. ’What!’ I almost yelled. The key wasn't opening .’

There was a frail sound of thunderstorms, which meant, it would rain sooner or later. I was in panic and there was no way I could alert my neighbours, lest I would give them an idea of what time I came home. They say ‘A woman has got to keep a certain level of mysteriousness,’ a saying I uphold with no regrets. Am sure you are thinking ‘how lame’, but its fine. I think I can handle a little bit of criticism, not ill-intended though.

Luckily, my good luck charm gave me a visit, and out of the blue, the padlock opened. Though it took me, approximately 20 minutes, I was at least grateful my heaven’s door was finally open.

Nature and I have not had a good rapport for the past week and however lucky I had felt, I knew she had another evil in store. When I leave my house in the morning, I usually leave my windows open to let in some fresh air. Yesterday though, my ‘searching-for- fresh- air’ endeavour turned to ‘searching- for- vexation’. There’s a corridor bulb just outside my house that attracts a myriad of insects in the evening and greater numbers on rainy days.

I would love to switch it off but that would mean no security light for our small compound. Immediately, I took my first step into the house, I was received by annoying, buzzing insects destroying the serenity of my humble aboard. Afraid of attack, I swiftly reached for the electricity switch but ALAS! My bulb had blown out.

‘Damn it!’ I thought. Can it get any worse than this? I was immensely tired and here were all these calamities confronting my patience.

When I first moved into the house, I had bought two bulbs. At least I can give myself credit for this. But before you start thinking my problems had subsided please note I couldn't reach for the bulb holder. Need I say more? I am 4’7 and no type of elevation can possibly get me to the roof.
Every effort I elicited to prevent me from calling for my neighbours help had proved futile.
9.45pm

‘Habari yako! Bulb yangu imeniletea shida.Unaeza nisaidia kuchange?’I asked one of my male neighbours. This doesn't mean I couldn't call for a lady’s help but if she managed to fix it, I would feel meek .I wasn't going to subject myself to self-emotional-turmoil.

‘Kutengeneza bulb ni kitu kidogo sana,’ my neighbour said. Well, this whole time I was busy thinking, ‘fix that bulb already Mr. I-can-fix-it-all. You need not remind me am vertically challenged.’ Lucky for me, I think he read my mind and accompanied me to my house.

Phew! My bulb problem was over ,but guess what, I could now see the God forsaken insects crawling on my bed like we were supposed to share my divine space. Swiftly, I dashed to close my windows but too late, my house had already switched into a den of insects or should I say insect’s parlour?
10.30pm

There was only one way out. Finish up all my before-bed-activities and switch off the lights. Before settling to do anything, I decided to lie on my bed and call, text and email back everyone who tried reaching me throughout the day while I was in the network handicapped forest.

No sooner had I made a safe landing on my bed, than my bed crippled down.

Aaaaargggh! Really! By now I know you are wishing you were never in my shoes. I totally agree with you, so no offence taken.

‘Innnn Ooutt! Inn ouuut!’ I inhaled.’ You possibly can’t lose your nerves right now,’ my inner goddess whispered. Confession! I am lucky to have my inner voice. She always has her way around me.

Good thing, it wasn't a breakage of sorts. The mattress support had lost balance. Easy to fix and within no time my bed was back to her sturdy self.

This excitement was short-lived because I had just been reverted to the insect’s reality. They had refrained from focusing on any other part of my house and simply stuck on disturbing my serenity. Thank God, I had already had dinner in Nanyuki, therefore, I just needed to freshen up and lay to rest.

10.45pm
As soon as I switched off the lights, all the insects fell on the floor. Hahaha! Who’s laughing now? It was exciting to hear them fight for their poor lives after almost succeeding in ruining my night. I knew I would have a tough job cleaning up the next day, but that was the least of my concerns. It was time to celebrate their downfall.

11.00pm

Finally! I was having my rest as it was meant to be. As terrible as the day had ended up, nothing would have taken away the excitement I had found in my Gathiuru forest adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment