Wednesday 12 November 2014

THIS WOMAN’S WORK

‘You’re smart, Intelligent, beautiful,’ is sometimes what I get from people. Kindly, don’t take it as if I am trying to sound self-declared but this does actually happen, even to you. Humbling is the effect I get, because then it means, there are people who take the time to see the good in me. It’s amazing, to say the least, and I am sure you do reckon with me.

Compliments effects augur differently with people. Some will take in compliments and move on while others ‘take it to the head’. When I say, ‘take it to the head’ I actually mean, literally swallowing the compliments and letting your blood pump them up to your brain in turn changing the entire mental operation making you an intolerant, big-headed creature. Sounds technical-ish, but I am just telling it as it is.

Today I was having a rather exciting day. It was one of those days I woke up with a smile and don’t even know why. On such a day, I ensure that I wake up immediately and not try to snooze my alarm, because there is a chance I might lose the smile. I possibly can’t trade a whole day of excitement with a fifteen minute sleep. Additionally, when I wake up with a smile I don’t question it because then it means I will overthink it and ruin my chance of having a brilliant day.

As I was getting on with my office work something took me aback. I began reflecting about my mum. The last time I talked to her was two days ago which of course has nothing to do with mother-daughter occasional arguments. I believe we’ve both been busy, but I’ll give her a shout out before the day ends.

I realized that I should always be appreciative of my mum when someone compliments me, because without her, people would have nothing to comment about. She modelled Beth and all she is about. In fact I think, if anyone has something good to say about my attributes they should probably look for my mother’s number and compliment her instead. Next time someone says something good about me, I should probably halla mum and make them talk to her.(Hahaha,I am kidding)

I come from a single parent immediate lineage. My grandfather died in 1978 and my grandmother took up the responsibility of raising 7 children on her own. I too lost my father in 2008 and it’s been my mum for the past 6 years. However things got tough for my grandmother working as a peasant farmer, she managed to see my mother through school. Today, she stands proud as an established banker who’s able to support and educate all her children independently.

Other people have made it to her level through the support of both parents and I am sure it puzzles people on discovering mum comes from a single parent family. When I was younger, my mum would push me to the limits to comprehend even just a simple math problem. It was annoying and I hated her then, but now when I look at her, I secretly smile. She gave me tough love and in my adulthood is when I realize why she had to do what she did.  I would watch her leave for work in the light-pink light of dawn and manoeuvre through life’s challenges as though it was another walk on the park but never did it strike me that all the hard work, commitment and zeal was for me.22 years down the line, I still wonder if I can be half the woman she’s been in my life.

I staunchly believed in my mum’s strength when my dad succumbed. Before his demise, I would have the ‘What-if’ talks with my friends at school. On one specific day, I was asked about what my reaction would be if I lost my dad. I remember faintly answering that I would die and possibly wouldn’t live without him. At some point, the talk became extremely emotional and I urged everyone not to continue with the discussion. Ironically when I learnt of his passing exactly a year after that talk, a significant part of my heart felt safe though I was going through a heart-rending situation. My soul kept humming ‘with mum everything is going to be okay.’ This of course tells you that I knew she was going to be strong for us all.

Six years later I watch our tight knit family and feel an aura of happiness. My mother picked up every broken piece and connected it so that, ‘we’ her children would not feel as thou there’s was a void. It’s an exemplary job she has done.

We say ‘When you educate a woman, you educate an entire nation,’ but I believe it’s a statement people hardly take the time to marinate on. Truth is, a woman will never watch her children stray if she has the ability to educate them. She would rather sell her soul to the devil but give her young ones the best. This may not apply to every mother but a great percentage possesses this character.

Working with women living in poverty and exclusion has made me realise the power women are endowed with. When interviewed, they mostly say that if they had the power, they would ensure their children get the best education. Remarkably, when these women make a few coins, they divert it all to their children. Mark you; this is a woman who has never been to any kind of school.

As I get to this place in my piece, I suddenly feel guilty for taking in the compliments which I now strongly feel should belong to my mother. However, I am sure she would be glad to watch people compliment that which she nurtured with love and hard work. Even better, see me acknowledge what she instilled in me.

Love You Mum





No comments:

Post a Comment